Review : Hinterland by L M Brown

Hinterland 

By LM Brown

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
My Rating 4/5

Synopsis

Nicholas Giovanni lives with his family in his childhood home in Somerville. His life revolves around his five-year old daughter Kate. When he isn't driving his taxi, he is taking care of her and her mother Kathleen, whose last involuntary admission to hospital was before Kate was born. When his childhood best friend, Ina, returns next door tensions rise in the house. Already unstable, Kathleen's suspicious of Ina and Nicholas grows until a day of violence ensues and Kathleen disappears.

Kate's life is shattered by her mother's disappearance. No-one will tell her where her mother is. Although Ina is like a mother to her, Nicholas keeps her at arm's length. He cannot bring himself to tell Kate or Ina the truth about Kathleen's last day, until Kate runs away, and he realizes his silence has torn everyone apart. To find Kate and to keep Ina in his life, there are truths he must face, if it's not too late.


My Thoughts

Hinterland by L M Brown has been slowly gaining steam over on #bookstagram and I’m thrilled to say it’s worth the hype (5 stars for me)! It’s a character driven novel that I couldn't put downa type of book I tend to love. But, these are always the hardest to review because they’re just stories about people living their lives (i.e. nothing fancy). 

But, these particular people struck a chord with me. The first 10% is a little slow, but I started flying through it after that. It’s a story of love of a father for his daughter. It’s about how to deal with difficult situations in which life puts us. I predict you’ll be seeing this one on multiple TBR lists…including mine!

There is nothing grand about this story, no bells and whistles in the plot or the writing. But L M Brown can really tell a story…one that is beautiful and satisfying and reflects the mess of real life without resorting to tricks. She releases information about her characters in drips and drabs, and describes scenes of mundane life that perfectly illustrate her characters.

Hinterland is a book that I enjoyed every minute of reading. I couldn’t wait for my next opportunity to read and I didn’t want it to end.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BE CYBER SMART: The Indian Family's Guide to Outsmart Scammers By Satyen

Design Your Career: Lead Self, Lead Others, Lead Change By Pavan Soni

Revenge Seeker by Vk Tritschler