Soul Seeker
by Kaylin McFarren
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
My Rating 4.5/5
Synopsis
Crighton Daemonium arrives in the peaceful town of Lochton, Illinois, searching for wicked souls to add to his count. Benjamin Poe, a devoted husband, father and firefighter, finds himself in a battle of wills against this evil, manipulating demon, while protecting his only son. Ultimately, Poe is tricked into committing murder and Crighton is rewarded with the soul he was sent to retrieve. Following Poe’s execution, Crighton continues his dark malevolent duties, until he's kidnapped by members of The Sovereign Sector. This group of scientists, notorious for experimenting on supernatural creatures, forces Crighton into a soulmate relationship with the very angel he was sent to capture for the King of Hell, Lucifer. With secrets revealed, darkness rules and loyalties shift. The demonic soul-seeker soon becomes the target of Lucifer's revenge, and his journey to redemption and freedom—or eternal enslavement—begins.
My Thoughts
Soul Seeker felt to me like it had a very clear sense of its target audience. It seems to have been aimed at people who like a particular set of things, and to have set out to serve those people by including as many of those things as humanly possible. This left me feeling a bit ambivalent about the book, because about half of the things which the book was throwing at me were things I really liked, and about half of them were things that made me want to facepalm so hard I gave myself a nosebleed.
The action in the book is fast and exhilarating making the story a real page turner. Yet as characters they are all intriguingly flawed and have weaknesses as well as strengths.
All in all I particularly liked Soul Seeker because it is the start of a new paranormal romance series. It is an exciting, original and well written book. I always get excited when the first book of a new series is this good because it makes me hopefully optimistic that further books on this series will be equally good. I am intrigued by the story.
I was pleasantly surprised to find the first book in the series, Soul Seeker, to be a generally enjoyable read. Admittedly, the atmosphere of the book is a little darker than I tend to prefer, but Kaylin McFarren has managed to use humor, romance and a few other elements that are sure to make readers smile to lighten things up here and there.
Highly Recommended to all the lovers of paranormal romance.
A must read for sure.
Comments
Post a Comment