Better Off Guilty by Lindsey Lamar
Better Off Guilty
by Lindsey Lamar
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
My Thoughts 4.4/5
Synopsis
Abril Hart wants nothing more than to live a peaceful life with her family in Chicago. Unfortunately, Abril’s father’s family business gives her no room to do so. As a career arsonist, Abril decides she may never win her peace. Abril has no choice, but to lead the double life she’s afraid of in order to provide for her family.Max Adara returns to the private investigation force after losing years to a tragedy with domino-effect consequence and memories of abandonment. Max’s only chance to keep her fractured family afloat is to solve her cousin’s arson-murder case.But as strange accidents start befalling the investigation, Max senses that she might have been cast a character in an insidious plot that puts her life in danger. To solve the case ahead of her, Max must fight to distinguish between reality and hoax, knowing that if she can’t, someone else will die too.
My Thoughts
Lindsey Lamar’s novel, “Better Off Guilty ,” is a brilliant, nasty noir. It drags you down into deep, dark and disturbing waters. It entertains while touching on complex questions of the meaning of reality and hoax. One can’t help but be impressed by Lamar's skill. Lindsey Lamar's attention to detail and empathy are impressive. No story is so compelling that it can’t survive a bad telling; no concept is so clichéd that it can’t benefit from a new, fresh and gifted voice.
Having read the book once I was compelled to read it again, enjoying the special pleasure of noting clues missed or misinterpreted the first time. Certain books are so good that they remind you of the vast pleasures good writers can give you if you’re willing to pay them attention. If you can stand the chill, “Better Off Guilty ” is a delicious summer treat.
The structure is so dazzling it almost distracts you from the quality of the writing. No question, this is a very literary thriller. It reifies books as memory boxes, dispatches from the dead. It also has – and expects its readers to share – a delicate appreciation of the links between fabulation (that is, the writing of stories that violate readerly expectations).
A genius plot with an incredible twist. Better off guilty is one of the best books I've read in a very long time. The writing is superb and the story meticulously planned and executed. It had to be, given its intricacies. I only started to guess at the main twist just before it happened. My logical mind was whispering, yes, that must be it, while my mouth had dropped open in admiration of its sheer brilliance! I'm so glad I read it. An exceptional thriller. It left my nerves jangling for hours after I finished the last page.
I dont usually read thrillers, but I am glad I picked this up. Contrary to popular belief that to be a thriller it would ahve twists and turns and what not, it was an easy read which had more impact. Enjoyed it very much.
Lamar's pitch-perfect writing propels the story to a frenzied climax that will haunt readers long after they’ve closed the...
Highly Recommended!
Comments
Post a Comment