Scorn of Secrets by B. Truly

Scorn of Secrets 

by B. Truly

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
My Ratings 4.4/5

Synopsis
The Family That Preys meets Flowers in the Attic

I must keep it locked away—the memory of my darkest secret….

When the rising tides of my life peak, I’m left struggling with the currents of the storm. The first dilemma is my dad’s gambling debt. Mama bounces back quickly from the ramifications it causes. She proves this by getting a new man. Her Rico Suave is just the tip of the iceberg—she moves us across state to live with him and his two sons.
My outgoing, older sister fits right in—she’s the total opposite of me. I am Madison Guillory, the shy, quiet type. Taught to make the best of even the worst situations, I contemplate giving my new family a chance.
Living with my future stepbrothers is interesting, to say the least. They’re like night and day. I have more in common with the laid-back brother, and we become instant friends. I’m adjusting to Taylor High, and the arrogant brother is even starting to grow on me. Maybe everything will work out after all.
My life finally seems to be falling into place until a dreadful night shatters my dreams. My world is flipped upside down because of the consequences I must now bear.
The memories of that night lurk in the shadows to torment me. If I think of what happened, I’ll succumb to my fear. His face has scorned me. No one will believe me if I confess, not even my own sister. I hold the key to my darkest secret, desperate to keep it locked away.

Recommended for 16+ due to sexual content and language. Some content dealing with sexual assault may be disturbing.

My Thoughts
Scorn of Secrets by B. Truly , I didn't think I'd be so gripped by this book but the author captures the pains and troubles of Madison's life with such honesty and emotion that I couldn't help recognize half the characters from my perspective. Madison's life finally seems to be falling into place until a dreadful night shatters all her dreams. Her world is flipped upside down because of the consequences she must now bear. The beauty of this novel is that it could have survived alone without the much more sinister story behind it. But, that said, it also served as a very sad and moving voice for sexual assault victims, particularly the vast amounts who feel at fault or scared or embarrassed by what happened. It was a quick, easy teen read but it's also the kind that plays on your mind repeatedly after finishing it. I felt the narration by Truly was great! She did the book justice. Her performance made me feel like I was watching the events unfold before my eyes. Whether you listen to or read this book, the time you put in will be worth it. 

I could not put this book down. This book is an amazing reflection of the effects of trauma and depression on youth. While this story is mainly taking place inside Madison's mind it is heart wrenchingly beautiful and tragic as she explores her world in a new way with a new perspective. Her wit and unique personality really shine as observes her world. This is an emotionally charged story that explores how a girl reclaims her identity and sense of self worth after enduring a traumatic event that essentially breaks her but luckily we join her on her journey of healing and growth. 

In a stunning first novel, B. Truly uses keen observations and vivid imagery to pull readers into the head of an isolated teenager. . . . Yet B. Truly infuses the narrative with a wit that sustains the heroine through her pain and holds readers’ empathy. . . . But the book’s overall gritty realism and Madison's hard-won metamorphosis will leave readers touched and inspired.

A must read for sure!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BE CYBER SMART: The Indian Family's Guide to Outsmart Scammers By Satyen

Design Your Career: Lead Self, Lead Others, Lead Change By Pavan Soni

Lost Daughters of Avalon (Awakenings) by J. Lynn Else