Rose-Coloured Houses by Cathy Lynn Brooks
Rose-Coloured Houses
by Cathy Lynn Brooks
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
My Ratings 4.5/5
Synopsis
In the autumn in 1942, seven-year-old Peggy walks slowly home to the Rosedale boarding house where she lives with her two older brothers, her mother, and her quick-tempered and emotionally abusive father. As Peggy grows, she learns more about the world around her and the lies and secrets she has grown up with. Who is her father really, and why is the family always hungry when Colonel Charles Wickman, Esq. is supposed to be a successful lawyer? Where does he disappear to on his long business trips, and why is the family always moving?
The true nature of Charles’s history is forever intertwined with the relationships and lives of his family. Will Peggy and her brothers take after their father, ruining lives and relationships as they progress through their own, or will they manage to break the cycles of abuse and deception to build lives based in truth, friendship, and love? Is forgiveness possible without reconciliation? Rose-Coloured Houses explores lies, abuse, love, and healing in a multi-generational tale of wealth, ruin, and redemption.
My Thoughts
I absolute loved Not My Story To Tell: My journey through grief: Loving and losing a daughter with bi-polar disorder. I liked Justine by Cathy Lynn Brooks. That's two in a row really "good reads" by author Cathy Lynn Brooks for me. I'm turning into a automatic downloader now for her reads , no book summary needed for me. I loved the storyline of this family . I loved the kids, the heartache, their bond ,everything and everyone in this read touched my heart. The paths they took , the good ,bad ,sad and very selfish.I laughed, I shed a tear or two ,I wanted to punch a few faces in but it was all my reading pleasure. This author has hit her stride in the historical fiction genre and I absolutely love it. Keep them coming please TJR because you have many fans out there. I've been hooked since Not My Story To Tell: My journey through grief: Loving and losing a daughter with bi-polar disorder and I'm not going anywhere. I promise you if you loved or liked Not My Story To Tell: My journey through grief: Loving and losing a daughter with bi-polar disorder , you will be very happy with this book.
I remember myself hurriedly reading, impatient to get back to what is going on with the main characters, I realize that is exactly what Cathy Lynn Brooks had planned, expertly designed. Well done. Another great novel, thank you!
I must say , I am sad this story is over and I miss them already. That is my true indication of brilliant character writing, when I can't stop thinking about the characters long after the book has been finished!
What makes a book a great book? Is it writing? Is it the premise? Is it the characters? Or is it the author's voice? I don't know but I can tell you, I thought the Rose-Coloured Houses checked all the boxes above. It was superb!
I can't finish my review without mentioning the beautiful cover. I love it. It's perfect for these characters.
Highly Recommended!
Comments
Post a Comment