Eye of the Gods by Christina Wise

Eye of the Gods 

by Christina Wise

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
My Ratings 4.4/5

Synopsis
The Powers of a Goddess Carry a Perilous CostWhen Andrea discovers an Evil Eye talisman at her Gram's house in Greece, she's gifted with the powers of Aphrodite, and learns the true story of her family's cursed past.She leaves to attend the boarding school of her dreams in California, using these powers to join the school's Secret Society—while trying not to crush on Aden, the brooding boy she's hopelessly drawn to. But her charmed new life is put on hold when Aphrodite summons Andrea to Mount Olympus to offer her a bargain: free her powerful family from their crumbling celestial prison and gain their protection—or risk death by the vengeful Gorgon that killed her mother. All she has to do is use Gram's talisman to find the other twelve descendants of Olympia. Easy—until it's stolen as part of the initiation into the Secret Society. As Aden helps her search for it, she discovers the part of the plan Aphrodite didn't mention—the gods will enslave mortals once Andrea frees them.Now she must trust her greatest weapon—her heart—to stand against the immortals willing to sacrifice her and the boy she loves.

My Thoughts
A Greek myth is basically a way of explaining the world, or it was a way of explaining the world to a primitive people who didn’t have any explanation of the sun or the moon or the disasters that happened — like earthquakes and floods and fire. It was easy to make a myth about it, and to say that it was down to the gods. What’s so fascinating about the Greek myths in particular is that the gods are terribly human. Eye of the Gods by Christina Wise I came across it when it first came out, before anyone else knew about it, and I absolutely loved it. I really appreciated the deft, spare beauty of the writing and I like the way it came at the story from Christina Wise point of view.

Christina Wise masterfully brings to life an imaginative yet informed vision of ancient Greece featuring divinely human gods and larger-than-life mortals. She breaks new ground retelling one of the world’s oldest stories. I loved this book. The language was timeless, the historical details were slipped in perfectly. I hope everyone should read Eye of the Gods. This novel is amazing, ancient and beautifully woven. You will be lost I can vouch for that. You might wanna re-read it, it's upto you, I know I did and can say still isn't enough. The book is something you'd savor forever, at least in your memory, if not the novel itself. But you'd wanna save it, perhaps, to pass it on to your generation, the type of novel it is. You'll learn, you'll grow through it a little, if not much. They say don't judge a book by its cover but I say you do, in this case, because the cover in itself is as medieval as the read.

Does this count as historical, or mythological, or pure fantasy? Don't care - brilliant, brilliant book. It was positively painful to read it if I'm honest but I couldn't put it down. One of those books that I felt a true and consuming sense of loss for a few days after reading it. 

RECOMMENDED TO EVERYONE!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BE CYBER SMART: The Indian Family's Guide to Outsmart Scammers By Satyen

Design Your Career: Lead Self, Lead Others, Lead Change By Pavan Soni

Revenge Seeker by Vk Tritschler