Home of the Floating Lily by Silmy Abdullah
Home of the Floating Lily
by Silmy Abdullah
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
My Ratings 4.4/5
Synopsis
Caught between cultures, immigrant families from a Bengali neighbourhood in Toronto strive to navigate their home, relationships, and happiness.
Set in both Canada and Bangladesh, the eight stories in Home of the Floating Lily follow the lives of everyday people as they navigate the complexities of migration, displacement, love, friendship, and familial conflict. A young woman moves to Toronto after getting married but soon discovers her husband is not who she believes him to be. A mother reconciles her heartbreak when her sons defy her expectations and choose their own paths in life. A lonely international student returns to Bangladesh and forms an unexpected bond with her domestic helper. A working-class woman, caught between her love for Bangladesh and her determination to raise her daughter in Canada, makes a life-altering decision after a dark secret from the past is revealed.
In each of the stories, characters embark on difficult journeys in search of love, dignity, and a sense of belonging.
My Thoughts
I am a beginner and reading is something new to me. My friends and relatives suggested me to develop a habit of reading. So I started reading a few books but the problem is that as I opened the book I closed it immediately. Then I felt that reading is a boaring task but I came across this book it changed my interpretation . It is such an amazing book to which we can connect. Home of the Floating Lily is an amazing collection of short stories, some are awesome reads, could say so after completing reading the treasure the ideas rest in your heart and soul. These will proactively make you reflect and some ideologies would be so imbibed that you would eventually inculcate those concepts and religiously follow it as a part of your life. One such book is this title. Post reading this compilation of short stories flushed with pain of migration, displacement, love, friendship, and familial conflict from personal experiences, one takes along with them morals of philanthropy , the happiness one can acquire , modesty , focus on a life you want to live.
This book needs no introduction. This book has amazing Short stories collection from the author's experience. What I love most in her is the simplicity and easiest possible language she use to reach her readers. Her stories can be read by all generation. Young, old and kids.
The narration style is just like any of our well travelled, well educated , articulative grandparents telling us stories of their time and life. Warm and Loveable, gets one nostalgic about childhood. I want to tell you one thing is that, in this book you read any chapter, you will definitely get new kind of perspective towards life.
Such a good book! Beautifully written . It's my first ever book by Silmy Abdullah I loved it so much that I couldn't resist to review it. now onwards I'm a Huge fan of Silmy Abdullah. Some stories melted my heart and filled me up with so many emotions. It's a must read.
Highly Recommended!
Comments
Post a Comment