House of the Moon: Surviving the Sixties by Donna D. Conrad

House of the Moon: Surviving the Sixties 

by Donna D. Conrad

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
My Ratings 4.4/5

Synopsis
Covina, California, in the 1960s is a clean, white place to live just twenty-four miles east of Los Angeles. The maze of three-bedroom, two-bath housing tracts is the perfect place for a respectable undercover agent for the State, his wife, teenage son, and two daughters. But beneath the veneer of normalcy lies the truth of a violent, psychopathic father, an alcoholic wife, their pacifist son who is sent to war, and their two daughters?prime candidates for a cultural revolution that is gathering recruits with every toke. House of the Moon is a haunting and ultimately triumphant memoir about coming of age during the decade that changed the world. With an unflinching voice, Donna Conrad chronicles her teenage years through lyrical vignettes. From encounters with Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, and other legends of rock 'n roll, to loaded shotguns at home, sexual violence in the streets, and flying high on drugs just to get by?this fast-paced memoir brings to life her quest to change the world?only to find herself changed by the times.

My Thoughts
First of all I want to tell you that I am not a huge fan of memoirs but this was one of the best books I ever read. Donna D. Conrads’ story was just so wonderful and learning experience for me and I found myself feeling more grateful for what I have than ever. Her story is inspiring. House of the Moon is a wonderful and ultimate memoir about coming of age during the decade that changed the world. She inspires me as both a person and an author. I would recommend this book to anyone at or above the age of 10. This book is an amazing story about survival, when survival seemed impossible. Donna D. Conrad does an amazing job in showing that not every moment is bad but not every moment is good either. In conclusion this is an amazing book I would give it more stars if I could. This book took me on a journey and I will never forget the things I learned from it. All I can say is, thank you Donna D. Conrad; thank you for the having the gut to share the reality of the world we live in. I am a better person for having read your story. Once you start reading this book, you can’t put it down. 

The author tells it like it is, not holding back or sugar coating events. The truthful story telling certainly gives the reader a learning experience which is necessary amidst the ugly truths about addiction, drugs , sex and abuse. I hope to read more books by this author. The details that Donna D. Conrad uses throughout the story and imagery really bring the story to life. Her use of words and details keeps the readers entertained and helps make the story more interesting.

This astounding story is a book that you just can’t put down, there is always something interesting in every chapter. Overall this book was an amazing read and gives people who have struggled hope that someday there will be a better future for them.

Highly Recommended!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BE CYBER SMART: The Indian Family's Guide to Outsmart Scammers By Satyen

Design Your Career: Lead Self, Lead Others, Lead Change By Pavan Soni

Lost Daughters of Avalon (Awakenings) by J. Lynn Else