Reboots: Undead Can Dance by Cody Martin and Mercedes Lackey
Reboots: Undead Can Dance
by Cody Martin and Mercedes Lackey
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
My Ratings 4.5/5
Synopsis
Say hello to Humph the Boggart, the principled, down-on-his-luck private detective, Skinny Jim the zombie, and Fred the werewolf, in this film noir style space opera.
Humans aren’t alone anymore—in fact, they share a planet with undead and near-dead beings, living in…semi-harmony, depending on who you ask!
This is the world of Reboots—where zombies, vampires, and werewolves live side-by-side with humans, taking whatever jobs they can in order to coexist peacefully. So, what better job to give almost-dead or dead beings, than one that consists of no air, cosmic radiation, and a lack of life-sustaining essentials?
In comes a cast of interesting, unique, and downright paranormal creatures as they travel through space.
Consisting of four parts, Reboots: Undead Can Dance is a space opera destined to become a favorite, written by beloved and world-renowned fantasy author, Mercedes Lackey, and Cody Martin.
Follow Skinny Jim, a zombie who conceals his ability to speak to avoid being exterminated after an ill-fated war launched by a zombie emperor, leading to an alliance between Norms, the Fangs, and the Furs. And then there’s Humph the Boggart, an ethereal parahuman private investigator who navigates interspecies relationships in claustrophobic extraterrestrial environments with his friends, including Fred the werewolf.
And what happens when you put them all together in a confined space?
Lackey and Martin have created a perfect, witty, fast-paced read that you won’t be able to put down, and will leave you craving more.
My Thoughts
A storyline with vampires, werewolves and plenty of zombie mayhem, SciFi, and pointedly funny observations here, the heart of this book is about human relationships, which are still the most important thing in the world...even in a world where you might have to shoot the person you love most in the head, just to stop them from biting off your face.
Yeah, yeah, I know. Here I am, a self-proclaimed disdainer of zombies, reading another zombie book. Hey, I do like to stretch myself and explore genres and subject matters I'm not overly fond of. Tastes can change.
I was impressed with this book. The writing is excellent, the structure and events are great, and I did like the characters, in my opinion, based on my own interests and aesthetic, Feed worth the sum of its parts. It is an amazing book. It just grasp me. I spoke to a friend who had also read it and he loved it.
The book entertained me,
My heart fell hard for the main character. I liked reading about characters adventures. The book made me laugh. It made me sad. It made me think. It made me squirm (so much blood!). I am glad that I visited that world for a little while. If you like zombie stuff, you should consider a visit, too.
OK, all of you readers who want something weighty and yet light, campy and yet smart, horror with heart, a summer beach read that will stay in your head and whisper to you "what if," Reboots: Undead Can Dance is just what you are looking for.
Highly Recommended!
Comments
Post a Comment