The fisherboy's blues by Alan Alfredo GEDAY
The fisherboy's blues
by Alan Alfredo GEDAY
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
My Ratings 4.4/5
Synopsis
“Dear Mama, As you can see, I haven’t forgotten you. I’ve been in Marseille for four months now; the time has flown by. I’ve had so much to do, and learn, and explore. It’s a huge city. I found it overwhelming at first, but there’s a magic about it as well. I feel so free here; not knowing anyone is a wonderful feeling. Livorno is just a village compared to Marseille. I think it would be impossible for me to live there again, I’d feel like I was shut up in a cell. There’s work to be had here; you can try to make something of yourself. There are lots of Italians in Marseille, so it hasn’t been too hard to fit in. We all live as a community in the Belle de Mai neighbourhood. The French call us the ‘babi’. You often see posters up in the street saying: “Italians out - French jobs for French people!” A few scammers have even offered me a false ID card if I vote for the socialist party. But with my accent and my limited vocabulary, it will be a while before they stop calling me a macaroni. I guess those idiots haven’t tried our food if they think it’s an insult to call me that! I miss your cacciucco and our long talks.”
My Thoughts
The art of reading is essential to becoming an informed, creative, and intelligent citizen of the world. Whether you are reading to learn and educate, or reading to imagine and escape, reading exercises the mind and soothes the soul. For me, reading is a wonderful part of traveling. I like to buy books from the countries I visit so I can learn about the cultures and lifestyles from the articulated words of locals. When I'm not traveling, I like to read the best time travel books that take me back in time to past ages of civilization, or take me around the world to different nations of the globe.
Alan Alfredo Geday's writing sings in his evocative new novel set in Marseille at the wider events of European history. The fisherboy's blues is a beautiful and compelling portrait of different characters and relationships facing their unknown past and an unimaginable future as their world begins to crumble. Alan Alfredo Geday deftly weaves fact and fiction to create…a carefully wrought story of immigration , wanderlust , exile and love of what the heart chooses to give up, and what it chooses to keep.
I enjoyed reading "The fisherboy's blues
" By Alan Alfredo GEDAY. Alan Alfredo GEDAY has a way of bringing artist flair in his novel, color into the world and words of his novel. There is dark and light, and texture and composition. His characters are intriguing and captivating. There is comparison and contrast seen in his characters. The novel deals with the best and worst of times.
Sometimes precious treasures can be used as means of survival and freedom. Sometimes precious treasures represent tradition and history. The fisherboy's blues is one of those treasures.
I loved reading this book and would highly recommend it.
Comments
Post a Comment