Mirrored by Issa Reed
Mirrored
by Issa Reed
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
My Ratings 4.5/5
Synopsis
This salacious novel takes you on a trek with five friends since college: Tracey, Emma, Stephanie, Tameka, and Katelyn; now in their late twenties travel through the journey called life. There is nerving racial content and sexcapades that pull you deeper into the scintillating situations. Tracey is the other woman, will she ever stop being the woman on the side? After being the side chick; Tracey finds Mr. Right, a single handsome man who has his priorities straight. However, Tracey soon finds out her perfect guy may be hiding someone. Emma co-parents with her child's father, the duo co-parent great together. Will co-parenting be enough to create a healthy relationship or will their past prove too much for this pair? Stephanie Is the owner and operator of three successful stores. Stephanie meets up with an old college colleague, and puts herself and her close circle in an awkward position to say the least. Tameka goes through a stint of fertility issues. She soon discovers herself pregnant and her baby's future is uncertain. Katelyn both beauty and brains, spearheads everything in life. Her take charge attitude may have contributed to her and her husbands rocky relationship. The groups' friendship as a whole are at stake, will this close circle of friends overcome these obstacles?
My Thoughts
An extraordinary tale that is both brilliant African American fiction and an important and timely commentary on racism. By holding up an unflinching mirror and illuminating this little-known chapter about friendship, this gifted author have penned a work that is a must-read. Mirrored is an intriguing story of Tracey, Emma, Stephanie, Tameka, and Katelyn who lived in America at the turn of the century. It is beautifully written. You will not want to put it down nor for it to end. While reading this book I was often reminded that the human spirit can put up with a lot. I must tell you that I looked back again and again at the chapters in the table of contents that were flashbacks in time for reference. Of course you can do this with an e-reader but it is much more cumbersome. This is a precious story, one that I will read and re-read, and it is one that I keep notes in and want to refer back to. I know that this can be done as well with a Kindle, but it is different, and I strongly prefer a physical hardback book. Think of your favorite book ever, and if you want that to be in a hardback form, you want this one to be the same.
Upon starting this novel, be prepared to do nothing else until you’ve reached its poignant, reflective end. Through brilliant pacing and with painstaking care, Issa Reed paint a vibrant portrait of five friends whose accomplishments, relationships, and secretive history were as complex and intriguing as the collections she helped curate…a timely, provocative read perfect for book clubs. I loved it.
Highly Recommended!
Comments
Post a Comment