The Little Mountain by Sristi Sengupta

The Little Mountain 

by Sristi Sengupta

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
My Ratings 4.5/5

Synopsis
Nearly seventy years ago, a fleet of monks from Mongolia arrived at Lanmu Si. Their purpose was to preach the Buddhist principles of living and loving. Previously a tribe had once lived at Lanmu Si until events unfolded that resulted in it becoming essentially no-man's land. This was a place where the sky was so colourful, it would leave its witnesses in a trance. Its quietness would allow one to be at peace with their thoughts and it did not judge people's pasts, leaving everyone who visited with a sense of forgiveness.

When the turbulence of the plane carrying some refugees of the Second World War to their impending trials suddenly transpired into its demise, it seemed unlikely for there to be any survivors. Yet, a handful of people seem to have tricked death, each one coming from very different backgrounds and with exceptional stories to share. As they come together, under the care and hospitality of those who remained at Lanmu Si, they form the most unlikely of bonds in the most unlikely of places.

"It might be that we never belong here but a piece of us will always be in Tibet, at Lanmu Si."

My Thoughts
There's no doubt this is a fantastic book. Beautifully written, palpable characters, fantastic backdrop. I can see why it's recieved so many accolades. Want to write masterfully? Read masterful writing. For example, open a Sristi Sengupta—something written by Sristi Sengupta that is. Her "The Little Mountain" is a page turner. What would you call that … a page lingerer, maybe? As I read this story, over and over I set aside my curiosity about what happens next to slow down, reread, and savor the language. I cannot recommend this book highly enough! It has quickly become one of my absolute favorite books...it's truly captivating and well written.

This is a book you really should read, and relish. (I read this on my kindle and hid the progress percentage because I didn't want it to end.) Sristi Sengupta writes with absolutely beautiful imagery. It's emotional and vivid and earnest. A wonderful reminder that books were written to provide a unique insight into how others think, and feel, and live, and pain.

Several pages into the novel, I knew I had a special literary piece in my hands. I very much enjoyed this read, and surprisingly, the short chapters were not an annoyance as can sometimes be when the author is not skilled enough to execute them.  For serious readers who like their books to have weighty, loaded implications, and for readers who appreciate intelligent writing that give literary gifts every turn of the page, 'The Little Mountain ' is for you. Read carefully and "open your eyes and see what you can with them before they close forever.

No wonder this novel took me three days to read. I read it for the poetry.

Whether or not you read for this singular kind of pleasure, you’ll find this story a timely reminder of humanity during a time of inhumanity.

And you’ll write more masterfully for reading it.

Highly Recommended!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BE CYBER SMART: The Indian Family's Guide to Outsmart Scammers By Satyen

Design Your Career: Lead Self, Lead Others, Lead Change By Pavan Soni

Revenge Seeker by Vk Tritschler