Oware Mosaic by Nzondi
Oware Mosaic
by Nzondi
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
My Ratings 4.4/5
Synopsis
From Publisher's Weekly
Set in a postapocalyptic Ghana in the year 2025, Nzondi's Afrofuturist debut puts a fresh spin on familiar procedural story beats. Driving home after a night of drinking, 17-year-old Feeni Xo hits and appears to kill a teenage girl and enlists her brother to help cover it up. Guilt over the accident causes Feeni to seek refuge in House of Oware, an investigation-themed VR game embedded in her neural implant. The game usually draws from cold cases for its plots, but this time Feeni recognizes the dead body as the girl she ran over. Unbeknownst to Feeni, her in-game partner, Samora Lamp, is the older sister of the dead girl, Jinny. Working together to uncover what really happened the night Jinny died puts them on the trail of a group of human traffickers and a hacker capable of infecting neural implants with a deadly virus. Nzondi capably blends genres in this satisfying mystery, breathing new life into science fiction and urban fantasy tropes. This brisk, affecting story feels wholly original. (Oct.)
More Praise for the Bram Stoker Winning Novel
"Once again, Nzondi creates a rich and vibrant world crackling with life. He is a brilliant writer, one readers and critics should be watching." ―Pete Nowalk, creator of ABC's How To Get Away With Murder
My Thoughts
Whether they’re sci-fi books about androids dominating the world or speculative fiction tales that aren’t so far from real life, dystopian novels are never not in vogue. The story is in very intense environment and love story Nzondi created is just beautiful, it kept me reading page by page.
This book is all about Power, human trafficking, hacking and lot of other stuff, this is now one of my favourite book. Nzondi constructs a narrative where people believe things they can not really believe.
I absolutely adore this book. Nzondi creates a dystopian world that is stunningly confronting and captivating, forcing readers to think about the society that we live in today.
I have added this the list of my favourite books ever as I will definitely be rereading this one over and over again. This is usually the part where I note any faults or annoyances that I have found within the book, but I can honestly say that in this case I do not have any. This is such a beautifully written piece of fiction that features brilliantly subtle dystopian elements.
I would definitely recommend Nzondi's Oware Mosaic to anyone, but I think that if you are a bit nervous about jumping into this genre or wanting to dip your toes into the dystopian world, this book is the place to start!
Highly Recommended!
Comments
Post a Comment