The Captain & the Mermaid: A Mystical Conquest by Laura Cyrena Kellogg

The Captain & the Mermaid: A Mystical Conquest 

by Laura Cyrena Kellogg

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
My Ratings 4.4/5

Synopsis
Mermaids and mermen, who live deep in the ocean, stay far, far away from the greedy and exploitative humans. Instead, they live a life full of fun and play -- feasting all day and drinking all night. Fuchsia, the pink-haired mermaid, is an actress who performs shows. However, upon entering adulthood, sick of swimming in circles day after day, Fuchsia is searching for more. One day, she swims to the surface of the sea, where she meets the Captain. What was intended to be a playful encounter turns into a haunting memory, as the Captain sails away and Fuchsia can't seem to get him off her mind.

After praying to Mother Mermaid, goddess of the sea, Fuchsia begins to learn about her magnificent, spiritual destiny. For her first mission, Fuchsia is sent to live as a human in a nearby beachtown called "Oceana Paradise." Here, she meets a kind boy named "Zale," a majestic girl named "Rainbow," and a wise and elderly psychic named "Madame," who will serve to be a mentor.

Through many trials and tribulations, it becomes prevalent that the Captain and the Mermaid have an undeniable connection. On this journey full of unexpected twists and turns, Fuchsia finds radical self-acceptance, confronts her inner demons, ponders the meaning of fate, and discovers bravery.

My Thoughts
This book is enthralling. It’s sucks you into a different world completely. I literally couldn’t put this down. The story is interesting and grab my attention enough to read it in one sitting. It's great for what it is, a light fantasy read. That said, I did run into a few issues with continuity, world building, and character development. There's a few phases and moments that really took me out of the story. 

What stood out to me the most though was how fast and deep (haha pun intended) the plot was developed. Even with all the trials and tribulations & situations that pepper the story from cover to cover. It really was amazingly done. Nothing felt incomplete plot-wise because of all the time spent on demons, but rather left you wanting more. Although I will say I felt like I needed a shower to wash all the interesting scenes away from my mind. Possibly after reading them one more time for the road…

Lastly, I was so lost in the developments toward the end of the book that I had no clue I was rapidly approaching the end. I MAY have cursed colorfully aloud when I reached what I realized was the final line in the book. Forget wanting the next book. I need all the books by Laura Cyrena Kellogg.

The story was entertaining, it didn’t absolutely wow me. The descriptions were great, but the best thing is I felt the characters emotions. It wasn’t the type of book that sucked me into the story.

Highly Recommended!






#fantasy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BE CYBER SMART: The Indian Family's Guide to Outsmart Scammers By Satyen

Design Your Career: Lead Self, Lead Others, Lead Change By Pavan Soni

Lost Daughters of Avalon (Awakenings) by J. Lynn Else