Charlie and the Tire Swing: How it Began by DiAnn Floyd Boehm

Charlie and the Tire Swing: How it Began 

by DiAnn Floyd Boehm 

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
My Rating 4.4/5

Synopsis
Charlie and the Tire Swing is a beautiful intergenerational story told from the perspective of Charlie and his Grandpa Jack. Over a cup of hot chocolate, Charlie's grandfather tells the story of how he planted an acorn with his own grandfather, Charlie's Great-Great Grandpa George, and how he tenderly cared for it and watched it grow, from one season to the next. He shares how, over the years, as the acorn grew into a might oak tree, how each generation enjoyed the shade of the tree, climbing it, reading under it, and gathering together as a family around it. It's a story of growing strong family ties, of sharing stories from generation to generation, and of appreciating nature and the simple things in life, like swinging on a tire swing. The learning opportunities range from the science of growing things, to interpersonal relations, the health benefits of outdoor activity, and innovation, problem solving, and creative play.

My Thoughts
Whatever your age, play is how we test ideas, define rules and see if they hold. We bought this book for home learning for our four year old. Really good book that we’ll use for years to come. Touched on a lot of subjects relevant to us and really helped her to explore the relationships in her own life. Brilliant accompaniment to science of growing things, to interpersonal relations, the health benefits of outdoor activity, and innovation. 

My children and I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, as our bedtime story over the last couple of weeks. The colours are so superbly vibrant they seem add to the excitement of the increasing (and increasingly funny) ‘Charlie and the Tire Swing’ is spot on – yet it seems quite natural and effortlessly engaging. 

This book stand out for me, as well as many other playful books I enjoy, because I think I’ve always been looking to play. Throughout my upbringing, my education and my grown up ‘professional’ life I’ve been trying to duck out of working. I just want to play. Anything can become a game, a challenge, an experiment and ultimately a distraction from what one might have been tasked with doing.

Highly Recommended!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Revenge Seeker by Vk Tritschler

Lost Daughters of Avalon (Awakenings) by J. Lynn Else

Loz The Worry-Eating Monster by Alison McQuillan