Hero Haters by Ken Macqueen

Hero Haters 

by Ken Macqueen

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
My Ratings 4.5/5

Synopsis
Jake Ockham had a dream job, vetting nominees for the Sedgewick Medallion-the nation's highest civilian award for heroism. His own scarred hands are an indelible reminder of the single mother he failed to pull from a raging house fire; her face haunts him still. Obligations drag him back to his hometown to edit the family newspaper but attempts to embrace small-town life, and the hot new doctor, are thwarted by unknown forces. The heroes Jake vetted go missing and he becomes the prime suspect in the disappearances. Aided by resourceful friends, Jake follows a twisted trail to the Dark Web, where a shadowy group is forcing the kidnapped medalists to perform deadly acts of valor to amuse twisted subscribers to its website. To save his heroes, Jake must swallow his fears and become one himself...or die in the attempt.

My Thoughts
Such a fabulous read. From the very first issue. I can envision someone interested in dipping a toe into the worlds of twisted trail to the Dark Web, reading this then pulling back saying, “No thank you.” This book does what Jaws did for ocean nocturnal skinny-dipping. Brilliant writing, excellent characters, and one of the most unique takes on the role-playing genre I've ever read. A world I'm both terrified of and am 100% dying to visit.

You may think you've read enough takes on "Help, we got sucked into a fantasy universe!" but I will still suggest that you consider this one, as it's unusual and just plain good enough to be worth it, even for those who have had multiple encounters with the theme before. For me, the twist that made it worth it being sucked back into a world they thought they had forever left behind, paired with the companions of their youth. It's a lot!

It's Ken Macqueen, so the world-building is incredible (and even by his standards, there is a lot of work put into this world). I love how characters changed over the passage of time (and between our world and the fantasy world).

I've read a variety of books about dark web and other technology thriller. This is easily the best I have found. It's not pleasant, they aren't heroes, but it's a good story.

Highly Recommended!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BE CYBER SMART: The Indian Family's Guide to Outsmart Scammers By Satyen

Design Your Career: Lead Self, Lead Others, Lead Change By Pavan Soni

Lost Daughters of Avalon (Awakenings) by J. Lynn Else