Spring House (The Westward Sagas, Book 1) by David Bowles

Spring House (The Westward Sagas, Book 1) 

by David Bowles

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
My Ratings 4.4/5

Synopsis
The Westward Sagas tell the stories of the lives of Scots-Irish families struggling to find happiness on the new frontier. Spring House, the first book of the series, begins in North Carolina in 1762 and paints a vivid picture of colonial life in the backwoods of the North State. Adam Mitchell fought to protect his family and save his farm, but his home was destroyed by British troops in the Battle of Guilford Courthouse, and his corn fields were turned into fields of death.Finalist in the Historical Fiction category of the National Indie Excellence 2007 Book Awards

My Thoughts
I finished this wonderful book at two o’clock in the morning because I was unable to put it down. It is a gripping and moving account of a North Carolina in 1762 and paints a vivid picture of colonial life in the backwoods of the North State.  This brilliant hook is alternative history, but the most harrowing accounts of Scots-Irish families Stories . The author’s research is meticulous and yet she wears it lightly as she writes, transporting the reader back to the sight, smells and sensations of another era. 

This is the kind of book that draws you in. I can't say how much I respect the authors determination to show both sides of one of the most fervent regimes by showing its darkness with brutal honesty and acknowledging .the terrible losses of life, to the brilliant opulence of. There she experiences a very different, rather surreal lifestyle, given that the War is entering its last phase. The book is very well written and the characters really come to life. 

This book couldn't have been written any better. This novel had me hooked from the beginning, the whole premise of the story is intriguing. The novel builds and twists, and I'm sure the actions of the main character are representative of the quiet subversion that every day folk managed to achieve unnoticed.

I could not put this book down, the detail and research that has gone into this book was amazing. This will not be the last book I read by this author.

Highly Recommended!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BE CYBER SMART: The Indian Family's Guide to Outsmart Scammers By Satyen

Design Your Career: Lead Self, Lead Others, Lead Change By Pavan Soni

Revenge Seeker by Vk Tritschler