Somewhere a Clock is Ticking by Sumedha Rao

Somewhere a Clock is Ticking 

by Sumedha Rao

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
My Ratings 4.4/5

Synopsis
A single train leaving for Amritsar amidst a fire.

A last minute flight from Bangalore.

A massive field of tall, yellow flowers.

Narrated by Time are two stories – one based in modern day Pakistan during the Great Partition, and the other in the busy social media era of 2019. A story of the connectedness of the human spirit, of life’s unpredictable peaks and troughs… A story of survival despite loss and hope despite grief.

My Thoughts
The story of Somewhere a clock is ticking is slow in the beginning but picks on gradually as the events unfold.

The ending is the best part of the book because, when I finished reading, I was in tears. I am not sure whether other readers will get the same feelings or not, but I am sure it will leave them unsettled and melancholy.

The simplicity of the plot and the characters is the book’s another positive in addition to the heart-rending end.

I liked the way the book was able to take me back in time and help me visualize my childhood, Amritsar, fields and its people.

The beautiful description of life in a village is also worth a mention.

I would liken the book to Anne Frank’s “The Diary of a Young Girl” because, even though is a fictional tale, it narrates a similar tale of courage and nerve in times of great human suffering.

As a testament to the tragedy of the times, this is a potent combination but it also revives a terrible truth, visually and in literary terms, which will not sit easy with many contemporary readers.

But that being said, there is nothing in the book which should be missed and thus I recommend it to every Indian who is interested in reading.

Highly Recommended!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whiskers Abroad: Ashi and Audrey's Adventures in Japan by Carrie Carter

BE CYBER SMART: The Indian Family's Guide to Outsmart Scammers By Satyen

The Power of Positivity: The ABC's of a Pandemic by Ruth Maille