Into the Macrocosm: Short Stories of the Dark Cosmic, Bizarre, and the Fantastic by Konn Lavery
Into the Macrocosm: Short Stories of the Dark Cosmic, Bizarre, and the Fantastic
by Konn Lavery
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
My Ratings 4.4/5
Synopsis
Explore a strange universe where time and space blur. Being dead or alive no longer matters as the afterlife and the real world intertwine. A talking goat head, sleep paralysis, genetic freaks, killers, and celestial beings are just a handful of the weird found in this growing macrocosm.Observe through the lives of 22 souls as the Nameless One attempts to discover the lost memories of how they died. A ghoulish companion in the mysterious Midway aids in the search, where one can witness any time, at any place, for clues. Yet, they're not alone in this post-death realm. Even in death, danger lurks, and it is not too fond of visitors.Award-winning author Konn Lavery's Into the Macrocosm dives into an on-going large-scale story expansion. The short story collection magnifies on previous connecting suspicions found in his horror novel Seed Me, thriller YEGman, and the dark fantasy series Mental Damnation. These interconnected tales bring them all under one, obscure, unsettling, cosmos.
My Thoughts
don’t know about other people but as the seasons turn hot, my reading tastes change. They become a little bit moodier, a little bit darker. I doubt I’m the only one, given how many thriller and horror novels. But what if you don’t want to pick up a thriller? What if you’re a dedicated fantasy reader who wants to walk on the darker side? That’s where dark fantasy short stories books like Into the Macrocosm: Short Stories of the Dark Cosmic, Bizarre, and the Fantastic comes in. The definition of dark fantasy can be hard to pin down. It’s not synonymous with horror, but there can be overlap. In fact, fantasy novels written by horror authors often get categorized as dark fantasy. The stories here are the raw heart of Konn Lavery. They are the spells that first drew me and all the numerous admirers of his work with whom I am acquainted into Konn Lavery’s luminous and captivating web.
I must say , normally I would read whole novels but found the short stories gripping. I love the authors way of writing, it was fluid, descriptive, and so well written. As they were short stories, ended up reading one a night before bed time. Not really a good thing as some of the stories played on my mind, which I suppose was the whole purpose of the stories. Some were complex, others quite funny, but also some very creepy. Such a good mix of genres, if you like Tales of the Unexpected and the Twilight Zone you will love these stories. Looking forward to the next thrilling book.......Maybe next time I will sleep with the light left on!!!
All told, a really interesting collection from an up-and-coming writer who is clearly invested in the genre. Pick it up and you won't be disappointed.
Highly Recommended!
Comments
Post a Comment